Monday, March 21, 2011

ef-48/72 horizontal grinder












Today I worked on finishing up the steering wheel on the kmg and I put a little crown on it and the drive wheel. It's running smooth and true now. Now that the kmg is finished, I've decided to start on a horizontal grinder. I made some preliminary drawings yesterday to get rough measurements and today I started construction by looking through my scrap pile. I found some pieces that needed to be cut. I love my new/old bandsaw. I slowed it down to 115 rpm and it cut through the 3/8" steel plate without breaking a sweat or dulling the blade. I decided to go with the steel plate for the base as I just happened to have it on hand and this will allow for a thinner baseplate than the beaumont grinder. I should be ready to start laying out hole measurements soon. I also made three of the platen work surfaces with some old rusty 1/4" plate that I had lying around. I think I should be able to construct the entire machine from scrap.





No comments:

Followers