Wednesday, November 6, 2013

wood lathe: duplicating jig




Yesterday, I was talking with one of my friends that teaches in Theater at UWM about motorcycles and he asked me if I would like to come take a look at his CB350 that he and his son restored over the summer. He told me that he was keeping the bike in the Theater shop and that I could take a quick look at it if I wanted to. While I was there, he had this foam spindle set up on their wood lathe. He was making a bunch of these for a production that it happening on the MainStage and I couldn't resist taking some pics of his duplicating jig. Yes, check out his turning tool. Not a wood chisel, but instead a piece of threaded rod with a piece of wood attached to following along the profile plates. The final surface is really decent. I thought this was just too good. Always something to learn, by looking at how other people make things.





No comments:

Followers