Wednesday, January 17, 2024

dan todorow pettingell hammer build




























































Ever since Hans invited me to visit AMS I have been secretly obsessing over the Pettingell hammers. Hans gave me a piece of aluminum and I had a go at shaping a piece. I have to be honest that I had ZERO clue what I was doing... but I find myself drawn to these hammers and I'm not certain why. I want one so bad! I just want to have free use of one of these machines for an extended period of time and I want to learn how it works. I can definitely recognize what these hammers are capable of creating and I can see that it would be an amazing tool to own. However, until I receive a large grant or I sell a few organs I simply will never have access to one of these amazing and beautiful machines.

That brings me to the images above. These images are from Dan Todorow's instagram account and he's been building a Pettingell base for some arms he has. I understand that cast iron would be better from a machine technology standpoint, but this is just too good and he's going about it right; since he's fabricating this. I had to save these images for future reference because there's just too much good stuff happening here and I am so jealous of this build right now.

Who wants to give me 45 grand so I can start practicing metal shaping on a large Pettingell hammer?




 

No comments:

Followers