Wednesday, February 21, 2024

h-d factory shots








These torches are just like the gas/compressed air annealing torches we had when I taught at UWM in Milwaukee.





































Austin shared these images from the H-D archive with me last week. I've seen a few of these but other were new to me. The design area photos were really interesting.  I love seeing the production shots too. Austin and I had a great conversation about the history of H-D and the image of the company and how it's changed over the years. The early years are so interesting to me.



 

2 comments:

eric said...

god, isn't it wild to think about all the context of those photos? were any of the people staged? told to dress nicely as the photographer would be in that day? what were the office hierarchies like? how did those folks get to the factory? did they live close by? how did they store blueprint drawings? what were the women sitting facing each other talking about? were they good friends?... makes my mind race.

Frankie Flood said...

You couldn't be more correct. It makes me wonder too. I was thinking about the clothing being worn too. A lot of overalls in those photos vs. fancy uniforms. We live in a different time now for certain.

Followers