Kenny Carder passed away last week. Hoe wife Lisa (who I work with) shared his obituary with me last night. I was helping a student on Thursday when Lilith told me about his passing. It hit me pretty hard in the moment. I just didn't see this coming.
I can't remember the exact first time that I met Kenny, but I think it must have been at he and Lisa's studio. When I first moved to Boone, I lived over on Baird's creek and Lisa and Kenny lived just down the road from me. Kenny had built their studio and added onto it many years ago. It is a gorgeous studio. I remember him showing me around the studio. I took a liking to Kenny instantly. He told me about growing up in Ohio and going to Bowling Green for school. He spoke fondly of his childhood and I could tell instantly that he was a worker and that he was a midwesterner at heart. We talked about Noah playing baseball and I could tell that he took a real interest in the people that he met. We talked about glass, metal, Penland, and him working for Harvey K. Littleton. I was in awe of his knowledge of process and the history of craft.
Kenny visited the studio that I was renting when I first came to town and it was there that I saw him really light up. I was working on a forge and he gave me some colloidal silica to coat the liner with. I think he realized my love of tools when he stopped by and saw everything I had moved from Milwaukee. In the next several years we would get together from time to time, usually during the summer months. I remember us talking about the Land Cruiser that he had since I used to drive my FJ40 over to his place. He would be getting rid of building materials or tools and I would usually end up stopping by to pick things up. I was just in awe of what he built for he and Lisa. All of his glass tools were built by him and you could just tell that he got things done and made things happen. I loved talking to him. He stopped by my home studio several times when I moved there and we worked on developing a ceramic wheel modification together for Lisa.
It's difficult to think that he's gone.
Thoughts of Kenny have filled my heart and mind as I have thought about times I spent talking with Kenny. Kenny was so kind and generous and I truly valued the times that I got to hear about his time growing up in the Midwest and his time at Penland. I felt a deep connection to Kenny. He was good to me and I always felt encouraged by him. Maybe it was the midwestern boy connection, or the genuine love of making, or his resourcefulness to be able to build anything; Kenny was truly one of a kind. I was so so impressed by him and looked up to his brilliance. I feel so grateful to have known Kenny and to have had the opportunity to talk about making things and what it means to be a father and artist.
Kenny will be deeply missed.
Ken Carder talks about being invited to work with Harvey Littleton. Oral history interview with Ken Carder by Barb Elam, conducted via telephone, September 6, 2019, Bard Graduate Center. Clip length: 03:00.




No comments:
Post a Comment