I worked on cleaning up the land rover transmission and transfer case a few weeks ago. It was a mess. I power washed it and then took the shift knobs off and polished them. It's too bad someone overtightened the red knob and broke the top off. I was amazed at how these cleaned up. I sanded them on my lathe and then buffed them with some plastic polish. I dropped the transmission and transfer case into the frame. I'm trying to decide what direction to go. Eric and I talked about the possibility of using my Nissan Leaf to power the Land Rover. There are several people who have done this. I had planned on using the Leaf motor in my chopped Beetle that I have yet to do anything with. TOO MANY PROJECTS!
It's interesting Jill and I have been having some detailed discussions on finances now that we are taking a class on the topic. We're to a part of the class where we are discussing our dreams of how we want to live when we retire and when we don't have debt. I am coming to terms with the fact that I have spent time over the years acquiring tools, motorcycles, and cars (that are usually run down, broken, in need of repair/restoration, or missing parts) all because I am dreaming of restoring them when I retire. I buy them is the state they are in because I feel like I would NEVER be able to afford a fully restored or proper tool/motorcycle/car and I tell myself that the opportunity to own them will not come around again. It's utter foolishness and it fuels a hoarder mentality. We have determined that this is my mode of operation because I scrounge and have never really had access to any amount of money that would allow me to purchase something decent. Therefore I have a million partial projects and no money to put into the projects. It's pretty crazy. It's really a result of believing that living in debt is the only way to live. When I realize that my ability to compound interest on my own money has been lost to companies that have compounded what I owe them, it makes me furious that I didn't do something about this sooner. Now I'm left trying to figure out what I can sell so I can get rid of the debt and most of the projects. I need to make a list of assets and then decide what needs to go. I spent the afternoon cleaning and organizing the shop so I can start to lay out the things that should go. I may need some help figuring this out.

No comments:
Post a Comment