Saturday, July 11, 2009

bones' engine for tex




Went to my office yesterday and got the old Bones engine stripped down, and started cleaning everything with mineral spirits. I decided to soak her good  and brush her down before I took anything off of her other than the tins.  I forgot how good mineral spirits and kerosene clean up oily stuff like that; the case looks great. Used to do that all the time as a kid growing up (pre-sandblaster/parts washer). I didn't want to split the cases if I didn't have to, and luckily everything seems tight in the lower end; no excessive play. I still need to peek inside at the cam, but the lobes looked good from what I could tell. Bores of the cylinders looked good too, but need to check ring gab and roundness. I went to sleep last night reading the Muir book; what a great book! (http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive-Anniversary/dp/1562614800) Old street smarts kind of mechanical knowledge; even stuff that could apply to other engines; just like the stuff my Dad used to always talk about. If you couldn't tell, I have bus envy right now. I want to get that motor back together asap. I want it to be a quick turnaround; new gaskets, rings, seals, and a valve freshening, etc. I have paint to do the tins and, I'm just thinking I'll brush stuff off and rattle can everything. Nice and simple and fast, so I can have an engine sitting there ready to go in tex the single cab. I want to plan a bus day out at the farm sometime after my workshops are finished. Want to finish brakes and grinding sheet metal down. Maybe throw an engine in him!

No comments:

Followers