Tuesday, July 21, 2009

bungs for badges


I know this pic looks the same as some of the other pics I've posted before, but look again.....

That badge is attached..... with bolts!



Here's the process:
I did a little layout on the tank so I could get the position the same on both sides. Drilled the holes with a sheet metal stepped drill ( I love these things). They're great for getting concentric holes in sheet metal with do egged out shape from a walking drill bit.



I turned some bungs on the lathe and threaded them.



I used a bolt to hold them in place (you don't want these to fall into gas tank).....



Welded them in.....



Ground them down with an angle grinder.....



And hit them with a counter sink to smooth out the edge around the hole.




There ya have it. It's connected. Now to do the other side.....




Still need to patina this side and bend the wing in a bit so it hugs the tank. All for now!

No comments:

Followers