Derek and I decided to clean up one of the Taig CNC mills today. He's been using it a lot, as have I, and we noticed it was making some oval holes. We decided that the split nut must need some adjustment, so we decided to dismantle things, give it a good cleaning, re-lube and re adjust.
In the process of looking up the specs, we found the section on Nick Carter's site about extending the Y axis, and we decided to make the necessary changes to give us some more depth. I've been wanting a little more capacity for various things that I've been wanting to make lately, but the Taig is limited in the Y to 5.5". Eric's wheel spacers made this evident so Derek and I set to the task of making some changes.
Derek tackled the Z headstock spacer and I whipped up some round spacers for the Y. We put everything back together and we tweaked everything to get things moving smoothly again. In the process Derek found that the Y axis had some slop between the motor coupler and the Y mounting plate. This was the cause of our oval circles so we didn't mess with the half nuts.
We ran some parts for Bryan last night and the circles look great. He's working on his handset glove and we milled he outer layer of one of the finger sections. He's getting quite proficient at Solidworks (I'll post some pics of this later).
I came back today and was inspecting our handiwork and I just wasn't happy with the flex that the 3/4" round spacers allow in the mounting of the Y screw plate. I decided to whip out a spacer that extends the Y extrusion. I made one for one of the mills and then tested it, made some adjustments, and did some tweaking with the belt grinder. Then I took final measurements off of this one and made adjustments to the cut file and threw in the flat fillets so I didn't have to touch the milled part if I decided to make some more spacers. I milled one more for the mill that has been doing the majority of the cutting lately and I installed it.
Everything came out really well. Those of you who have a Taig mill: let me know if you need the g-code for this and the endmill specs and I'll send it. This increases travel to 6.5". I know that doesn't sound like much, but it sometimes can make a difference...