Friday, October 14, 2011

late night/ early morning medallion



















As I posted before, I wasn't happy with the map of campus, so I cast the new one and then decided to make a new base plate for the new map. The original design also called for rare earth magnets, but I ditched those in the final weeks as the ones I had were fragile. The intent was for the front map to rotate and the small gears would transfer the motion to the back side and the iris would open. This just wasn't working during the final assembly for the video shoots, so I decided that I would re-visit this. I decided to re-visit it last night (the day before the inauguration). It was really bothering me, that the piece was not functioning as planned. I ended up cutting a new base plate that is slotted to allow the linking of the two larger gears. I machined a new gear last night, as well as anodizing the map base and powder coating the new base plate. Needless to say, I didn't get any sleep last night and came home for a shower before assembling it before our graduate reviews this morning at 9:30am. It all works now as originally planned. It's still going to have to work in a bit as things are tight, but I think it's good. I dropped off the medallion at Brad's office at around noon and I'm off to the ceremony in about 30 minutes; I'm going strong for not having any sleep!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are the freaking man! That is exactly the commitment that separates real men from fakers. Love it!

Frankie Flood said...

ha, ha, ... I was really just trying to reach the deadline... that's ALL!

Followers