Sunday, April 29, 2012

urban trials fork rebuild



I rebuilt the forks on my salvaged Montesa 247/King Scorpion urban trials bike last night. They were in need of new fork seals and a thorough cleaning. I had to find a replacement set of sliders because mine were toast. The aluminum top caps had seized inside the steel sliders on the old ones and I had to force them out. Not to mention, the sliders were rusted and had damage on the opposite end. Rather than spend $400 for a new set of sliders, I decided to look to ebay. I found a set off of a 247 Cota that had damaged lower castings and set about swapping things out. The pics above are of the finished swap and seal install. They're ready to go back on now. I also found a reed valve intake that was adapted to the same ebay 247 and picked it up as well. Reed valves were not stock on the old Montesas, but I heard about some conversions back in the day. I'm anxious to see how this works on the bike I'm building.






No comments:

Followers