Friday, January 18, 2013

john paul miller


Arthur just posted this, but I just have to repost it. I love this! John Paul Miller; total class act. I love the attitude and the motivation. There's a purity in just wanting to go to your studio to discover and to make, and there's a purity about passing that on to your students. No twitter, no blogger, no crafthaus, no look at me; look at how...great "I" am. No seeking attention; just a quiet thinker and maker. I would love to see more of this in the field of Metalsmithing, but I'm afraid those days are long gone. Maybe it's the influence of media of maybe it's the inability for people to set themselves a part from others by their work alone. Anyway, I really enjoy the attitude, the skill, the work, the history, and the man. Great stuff, Arthur. Thanks for posting.


Sorry for the rant...




2 comments:

Felice Luftschein said...

Although without his knowledge being spread on the internet it was being kept behind a firewall of educational access (only available to students at the art institute in his case). There is an upside to what I kindly refer to as "internet whoring" of one's projects.

Frankie Flood said...

True. I just like that he didn't have to be the one to "toot his own horn". I sometimes worry about having a blog that shows everything that I'm interested in and everything that I do, that it comes across as though I am, using your term, "internet whoring" my things. I just don't want to come across that way at all. I started this as a way to share with my family back home and one of my friends who lives away, what I'm working on. I guess it's hard to separate the that and self promotion though. Maybe it's unavoidable.

In my post I was really referring to the professional organization that I am a member of and not so much the internet. It tends to have a "high school click-like nature" that people use to promote themselves. It's all about who you're friends with or who you studied with, etc. It was nice to see that John Paul Miller didn't seem to worry about that and that he just let the work and skill carry him forward.

Followers