Saturday, June 15, 2013

volksrod





By the time we had begun our project cars, Martin Smith had started a company called SoCalook to market his front end adapter. The front end adapter replaces the Beetle beam and allows you to stretch the wheelbase by mounting a dropped axle similar to those on older Ford and Chevy hot rods. Speedway Motors had started to carry the axle adapter and a kit with everything you need to make the  switch to the socalook. They now have an instruction pdf to explain the installation, but at the time we were working on these, all we had were a handful of photos from the internet and no instructions. Eric ordered a front end kit and axle/brake kit so he could get the ball rolling on getting his car under way. I didn't have the cash to buy the adapter so I planned on taking measurements off of his and making my own. I was also hoping to use an old Ford axle and radius rods that I had gotten off of an old farm wagon conversion. My plan was to do this car as cheap as possible. I'd start with the chop on the top and figure out things as I went. My car needed a lot of work, so I had plenty to keep me busy for the time being.





No comments:

Followers