Wednesday, July 17, 2013

millers at milwaukee












































































































































































After Noah's championship game on Saturday, he and I went to State Fair Park to go to the Milwaukee Speedway for Millers at Milwaukee. We went last year and had a great time, so we thought we would hit it again this year. We were late in getting there, so a lot of the cars were being loaded up, but there were still a few people running the track. We spent some time in the pits looking at the cars and Noah even managed to sit in a couple cars. I told him he must look like an indy driver, as they never ask me to "take a seat". The brazing on the small car at the top and bottom blew me away. The owner was super nice and chatted with us for a while. Some of the detail in these cars just blows me away. The drilled brake shoes, exhaust, knock offs, fuel caps, sheet metal fabrication, and attention to detail in how these cars are put together, is simply inspiring. I love hearing and smelling the cars too. There's nothing like this in daily life. There is a rawness and aggressive nature, but at the same time a beauty and sophistication in them. I don't know quite how to explain it. There are no pictures or video that can do it justice. It has to be experienced first hand. I would love to build my version of one of these using my old ford inline six and four speed trans that my Dad and I built for my old Mustang. Think of it as a cheap man's Miller. One of these days maybe?








No comments:

Followers