Sunday, January 5, 2014

allis






Shop Teacher Bob just posted this shot taken from his Allis Chalmers and spoke affectionally about "Old Allis" (The name that my Dad referred to her as). It brought back some memories of setting on the end of a WD with my Dad or setting on the toolbox mounted fender when my Grandpa would be farming. The controls mounted at the center of the steering wheel was something I'll never forget. The controls and tractor had a look to them that I still love. The hand clutch also sticks in my mind. To this day, the smell of his WD has never left my senses; it was a mixture of gasoline, grease, oil, hydraulic fluid, and dirt. One of the best smells in the world. I believe I remember my Grandpa having three WD's at one time. Shop Teacher Bob's comments about these tractor's longevity also struck a chord in me. They don't make things like this anymore. 

Even though it was close to zero when I went out, the old tractor fired right up. Lot to be said for running twelve volts through a six volt starter and an engine designed with low compression and even lower still after sixty years. It started on two cylinders, went to three after a few seconds and then finally to all four. After about five minutes of running time, things had warmed up enough to shift the transmission and raise the blade. -Shop Teacher Bob 

I don't know why, but I would love to own one some day. I sure don't have a place to use it, but I know I would just start it up from time to time to listen to it, I'd sit and stare at it, take the kids for a ride...and I'd smell it whenever I went into the garage. Think of it as a giant object for the senses that brings back visceral feelings. I miss living in the middle of no-where. 






No comments:

Followers