Saturday, January 24, 2015

dcrl shelving










Fred and I made some shelving units for the DCRL this past week. I spent an afternoon cutting wood and Fred and I tag-teamed the assembly with Fred gluing and me brad nailing the following morning. We haven't connected the separate units yet, but we threw the hexagonal units all together to see how things might take shape. We plan on making more of these, as they will become storage spaces for students to store their class materials and tools. We have around 30 units made and I think we could probably fit around 100 on the wall in the DCRL. We plan on treating the inside of the hexagonal units with polyurethane and then we'll paint the front edge either red or black. I probably will also encourage students to make a front acrylic cover that we can engrave and fit so that they have a "door" on their storage unit. I know we could probably have made a more simple shelving unit, but this will look good and allow us to reconfigure.





2 comments:

Charles Collins said...

I'm stealing this idea. Just FYI.

Frankie Flood said...

Yes! Please steel it....as I stole it from somewhere....

Followers