Saturday, May 2, 2015

alu-panel trash receptical












It's nearing the end of the semester. That means students are trying to finish their projects and I get requests from students that I'm not teaching to assist them is making their projects for their other courses. Eric from DVC was in a class that I taught while I was on sabbatical and he is completing his capstone course for Design and Visual Communication. Eric asked for some advice about his Graphic Design showcase project for a trash receptacle. He already had a design in mind, so I told him about alu-panel and told him I would help him cut it on the CNC router. I set him up on one of my "days off" from teaching. We were able to get everything scored and cut and then we bent it into shape. After seeing the material properties and the process, I think he realized that he could have come up with a much better form, but he learned something regardless. Helping these kinds of students that are outside my courses is rewarding, but I just don't have the time to do this as much as I would like.



No comments:

Followers