Friday, April 29, 2016

dan neville




I just received this exhibition card from Dan Neville. If you're not aware of Dan then you need to follow him on Instagram. I have so much respect for Dan's work and I love the in-depth investigation into material and process. His practice reminds me of the practice within the Metalsmithing field that got me hooked on creating; a practice that involves knowledge and research that pushes the field of metalsmithing forward through discovery and mastery. His work builds off those individuals who you can find oral histories from on the Archives of American Art; people like Brent Kington, Fred Fenster, Gary Griffin, Arline Fisch, and many others. Seth Gould is a current contemporary Metalsmithing practitioner that I would compare him to (by the way Seth is killing it with his recent locks). He is someone you need to watch out for, becuuse he has the work ethic and drive to do monumental things. I have to admit that I have never spoken directly to Dan, but I encountered him and his work when I went to SIU Carbondale when I went to the Metals Conference there last year. It was so great to get this card in the mail and to see what Dan has been up to. I bet his show is amazing!

Dan Neville Artist Statement: 
The idea of service has become a key concept to my understanding of craft and design, therefore creating objects with purpose or function is satisfying to me. Through the format of the vessel, I am able to achieve this concept and at the same time invoke a greater meaning in my work. Manipulation of pattern commonly found in industry has been a recent interest to me and can be seen throughout my work. Strong attention to handwork and detail aid me to produce a clean uninterrupted piece. 

Biography:
Dan Neville received his BFA in Metalsmithing at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. Dan is currently a graduate student at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, and has taught numerous classes and workshops about forming and alloying metal. In the summer of 2014, Dan taught a semester-long class at SIUC with an emphasis on mokume gane and pattern development. This past summer he taught this workshop again at the Steneby School in Dals Longed, Sweden. Dan is currently focusing on creating his thesis exhibition and working for blacksmith Rick Smith.




No comments:

Followers