Thursday, September 22, 2016

piecemaker/peacemaker





















A couple weeks ago, I completed the current pizza cutter that I was working on over the summer. You might remember that this started off as a 22LR pistol that I received from artist Boris Bally as a part of an exhibition called Imagine Peace Now. Boris invited and solicited entries from artists to submit work that took disabled guns and transformed them into art objects. I started work on this off-and-on during the month of May, but then had to put a halt to progress as my summer class began and the studio move ramped up. 



Now, once that I was moved, things could proceed further from the initial sketches that I posted earlier. I still don't have the studio fully functional, but I was able to get things to a point that I could at least complete this piece.

The pizza cutter is entitled Piecemaker/Peacemaker and it features a parmesan filled revolving cylinder container that advances when you pull the hammer and you are able to squeeze the trigger to prepare for the next advancement. The parmesan container has a rotating sleeve that allows the cheese to be sprinkled on your pizza and you can reload the container by removing the cylinder from the gun. 

I'm really happy with how this turned out. I had a few more things I would have liked to have done to the gun, but I just ran out of time. I'll try to cover some of the processes I used to create this in the a few future posts. I documented all of the steps so some of you might enjoy seeing this come together. In the meantime, I hope you all enjoy the photos of the cutter. 

Piecemaker/Peacemaker 

aluminum, stainless steel, bronze, steel, brass, ball bearings, spring steel 

Manually machined aluminum, brass and bronze; CNC machined aluminum, stainless steel; CNC Jesus handles machined from 3D scan of Michelangelo’s Pietà.

No comments:

Followers