I guess I've been on a bit of a nostalgic trip this summer, but I guess that's just who I am.
After realizing that the SNAG slide library is fully online, I also discovered the full list of publications from SNAG were also published. I was most interested in seeing the issues of Goldsmith's Journal. I have a few reprint issues of it in my personal collection of books and papers, but to have the full set was exciting to me. I downloaded PDFs yesterday so I could have the full collection.
We had all of these issues in our Metals library at the University of Illinois. I loved the fact that we had a dedicated Metals library in our studio. It was a separate room that had a couple iMacs and a large library table where we would meet each week for our Metals Seminar to critique work. BUT the entire back wall of the room was covered by library shelving and it was filled with Metal publications; books, journals, papers, etc. I used to spend time going through these early journals of the organization looking for information that I wasn't aware of. I realize now how formative this was to my development and how much process and material knowledge drove and continues to drive my work.
Deep down...I just want to learn and I enjoy learning. I am so glad that these early journals included technical knowledge along with completed accomplished work by professionals in the filed of metalsmithing. I can't wait to go back through these issues and see what I've missed.


No comments:
Post a Comment