Tuesday, March 16, 2010

powder coating in the big kiln












I decided to try the kiln with powder coating on Sunday. Mark has been waiting on me to powder coat these rims and cowls for his scooter for a long time. I tried keeping the kiln on as I coated the pieces, but it just overheated the sheetmetal with the direct flame on the pieces. It caused the paint to bubble and I had to burn the pc off. The rack sagged a little from the direct flame as well. I decided to coat the pieces first outside of the kiln. I heated the kiln up to 600 degrees, turned it off, and then opened the door and slid the rack into place with Matt's help. We then shut the door and watched the kiln come down to 400 degrees and hold there for the 15 minute cure time. The rims turned out great and Mark was happy. Just need to do the cowls now.


No comments:

Followers