Monday, January 3, 2011

start 'em young


This weekend, Noah learned how to use the little belt sander my Dad built several years ago (third generation using the homemade tool). I've made a lot of things with this little sander. 


This is a video of Noah's first solo run. He wanted to sand some wood that he cut while he was spending some time with me in the studio this weekend. I think he was impressed with how it smoothed the rough edges. He told me that he was proud of himself for learning "new things"/ I told him he needs to always make "learning new things" a priority in life. It was also a good opportunity to talk about friction and heat (notice how he feels the edge and then promptly removes his hand from the hot edge). 


It won't be long until he can be trusted with some "real" parts and a more aggressive belt. Remember: start 'em young so they'll have some knowledge that they can put to good use.







No comments:

Followers