Tuesday, March 15, 2011

kmg platen attachment: milling curved slots sans rotary table














Here's a little trick if you don't want to set up the big rotary table and spend the time setting it up to cut a small curved slot. In this case, I used a 1/4-20 bolt, washer, and nyloc nut. The nyloc nut is tightened down snug, but still with a little play between it and the plate. The plate has been pre-drilled with 1/4" holes in the middle and ends of the slot. This will give you a place to adjust the z depth without digging into the plate. I secured the bolt head in the vise (a hex head would be better than the cap head I used - as it would have less chance f spinning in the vise) and then leveled the plate against the top of the vise jaws. Tighten the jaws of the vise against the bolt head. I installed a 1/4" endmill and set in place over the pre-drilled holes. I held the plate securely with my glove covered hands and just rotated the plate about the center pivot bolt. From there, I just took my time and made light cuts; don't get in a hurry. I adjusted my z depth each time I got to the end of my slot where one of my pre-drilled holes was. It worked like a charm and best of all it was fast and I didn't have to move my milling vise to make room for the 200lb rotary table (Did I mention that I didn't have to LIFT it up to the mill table?). Just be careful to get adequate tension on the nyloc nut so the plate can spin wildly out of control. 









2 comments:

Have Blue said...

Brilliant! I will definitely be using this trick at some point - I never really got the hang of using a rotary table anyhow.

Frankie Flood said...

I was hoping someone might find that useful. I think I saw it in one of the old popular mechanics issues.

Followers