Saturday, February 11, 2023

tune port intake to LT1













This morning I ran to school to weld up this Chevy intake manifold for Jacob (my neighbor). He's building an LT1 engine and he was wanting to put a Camaro Trans Am tune port injection intake manifold on it. This required making up some aluminum fill plates and turning some aluminum plugs so I could weld up the original mounting holes. He made the fill plates, I turned the rod to size (since we didn't have proper size on hand) and he cut the plugs. I decided to run to school to use the big Miller TIG so I could get some heat into it quickly. I fixed a broken valve cover for him while I was there and waiting on the intake to cool down. I ended up welding the top side and bottom side on the flange of the intake. I knew this would mean more work for him to flatten back down, but I figured this would insure things were sealed up. I dropped it off at his house on the way home. He texted me halfway through the day and said he was ready to drill the intake for the LT1 mounting pattern. He had ground things down flat and was ready for the next step. We took the original LT1 intake and made a drill jig from a slab of wood I had laying around. We had thought about using the Bridgeport to do all of this, but he figured that there was enough slop in the original holes that it didn't really matter. We lined up the jig and got to work drilling. Things looked pretty good when all was said and done. He has a couple areas that have thin sections around the holes since he didn't make fill plates for all of the indentations in the flange, so I'll come back and fill those areas for him. He took the intake back home for the time being to see if it fit and then sent me the last two pics. A little finish work and he'll have the intake looking pretty nifty. Can't wait to hear this running.



 

 

No comments:

Followers