I got up early this morning and walked down to the shop. Yesterday I had programmed the CAM file for the crank design for my velocipede so I wanted to get an early start on cutting them out. I had made a 3D printed model of the crank a week ago, but there's always something special about seeing a design in metal. I used some leftover aluminum plate from when we were cutting parts for Austin's electric motorcycle. The first crank was looking good right up to the point where my parallel finishing op was almost done and then there was a weird toolpath that caused the ball endmill to get pulled out of the collet and it screwed up the z location. Live and learn. I ran the file a second time and this time was ready for the issue. Then I turned around and ran the second finished crank. I was able to clean and do a little organization in the shop while this was running. I have a few more pieces to program like the pedals that will connect to the cranks and a small drive wheel. Hopefully I can cut the small drivewheel tomorrow. The pedals are double sides and I'm doing some texture on these so they will take a bit more set-up and time. I still need to decide on the table design and the saw frame arms, pivots and tensioner so there's still a lot to do.
I ran into town with the girls in the afternoon to stop in and check on a student (who is doing some work for me in the campus studio; painting exhaust hoods) on campus, and to take the girls to the library. We got some groceries afterwards and then we came home and I made dinner for us. We'll watch a movie tonight and chill out on the couch.




No comments:
Post a Comment