Monday, May 31, 2010

cemetery hop






The family "cemetery hop" was on Sunday. This is a long standing tradition where my mother's family gets together and we travel from cemetery to cemetery and visit the graves of family members passed on. It's a chance to learn the oral history of the family and also an opportunity to talk to family members who now live away from the immediate area.

The children get to take part in games while the adults talk and every once in a while they take in a little history. The festivities kick off at Elliot Cemetery where the children role down the hill that the cemetery is located on. It's such a good time and brings back my own childhood memories. It's interesting to see my children continuing the traditions that I didn't even realize I was a part of at that age.


No comments:

Followers