Friday, May 27, 2011

bmw heart transplant












I decided to shoehorn the R60/5 motor into the /2 frame today just to see what modifications I needed to make to the frame and to check driveshaft alignment and length before I weld the swingarm. I was finally able to wedge the motor out of the /5 (that was quite the job), and get it free so I could move it over to the /2. These engines are way heavier than I originally thought. I anticipated a lot of work due to the trouble I had getting the engine out of the /5, but it turned out to be cake. I took off two bolts from the oil filter cover and it dropped right in. The engine mounts bolted up just like the /5! I couldn't believe it. Those German's! You have to love the fact that they left the engine mounting spacing the same, when they designed the all new engine. No need to mess with what works I guess. It looks like I'll have some minor wok to do to the frame around the oil filter cover and I may have to play with the bracing on the Earls frontend once I get my new tapered steering bearings. Things are a bit close at the alternator and I don't even have an engine cover on there yet. I have plenty of space above the starter, but I'm trying to decide if I'm going to use the stock /5 cover and airbox. I just really like seeing space in between the engine and frame. If I put the /5 covers back on, it will look like a brick sitting in there. That's a good thing aesthetically on the /5 but just not right for a /2 in my opinion. Besides I could make some new covers. We'll see....

For now it's good to have the engine in the frame. Now I just need to find a front hub, wheel, and tire.












No comments:

Followers