Wednesday, July 6, 2011

bmw's and coveralls


I had an English, History, and Civics teacher in High School named, Max Wilson. Max was the kind of teacher that taught you about life in addition to the subject matter. I used to hang out in his classroom before school started, and we would talk about all types of things. Max was from the same small town that I was from, but he had had an appreciation for music, art, and literature (more so than most people you would encounter- even these days). He was a farmer too, and we would talk of such things, but he always returned to music, art, literature, and the finer things in life. 

When you saw him in town and away from school, he always had on work coveralls and this was a stark contrast to his his usual professional school attire. I worked at the local coffee shop/restaurant and he frequented there on weekends to have a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette, atleast until he got fed up with "the locals" and their narrow minded meaningless conversations. He was truly a unique personality and one of the people that I always looked up to and respected. When I started riding my first motorcycle to school (Honda 125), he told me that I needed to own a BMW someday because that was the smoothest and finest engineered motorcycle that I would ever encounter. 

Anyway, read this if you're interested in the origin and history of the boiler suit, coveralls, or the racing suit.



No comments:

Followers