Sunday, July 3, 2011

mtm snap/ bootstrapping







The MTM Snap was designed by Jonathan Ward of MIT’s Center for Bits and Atoms. It costs about $500, runs off an Arduino, is CNCed out of HDPE, and can mill a 5″ x 3″ x 1.75″ area. Design files and BOM are available if you want to make your own.

You can also see Jonathan's previous MTM A-Z in the video below. I like his idea of the FabLab 2.0; that is comprised of no commercially available machines. This reminds me of my influences, Dave Gingery, and his bootstrapped machine shop. This type of self reliance and skill based learning is something that I have always been a big proponent of. I hope I am able to convey the importance of this to my students and I hope they will seek this out for the rest of their adult life.











No comments:

Followers