Monday, December 31, 2012

printed iphone case/ mendelmax

I wanted to test the MendelMax's capabilities at printing a super thin object so last night I decided to print this iPhone case. The new printer handled it and did a really good job and the case fits. I wanted to make sure all of my steps for the x,y, z, and extruder were accurate in the firmware so that my parts would be the proper dimensions when printed. I didn't switch to painters tape and my current kapton tape has a lot of air bubbles in the surface; thus the rough back surface. The extruder is also giving me fits. Regardless, my old Prusa would never be able to hold a line like the MendelMax did. I AM having some major problems with my extruder though. I think I jacked up my hotend and the extruder that I put together is junk. The filament keeps slipping out of the hobbed groove in the feed bolt. This problem is causing issues with calibrating the correct number of steps for the extruder in the firmware. I printed a new and improved version of the extruder with a guide for the filament, to help keep things on track. I'll try to get it fitted soon. I'm also just working out some alignment kinks and such, but everything should be tip top within the next few days.


raster said...

I do the dish soap trick to get the Kapton on the glass with minimal bubbles. You need to squeegee it and let it dry, and it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it turns out well.

Frankie Flood said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.