Saturday, February 16, 2013

ball state anodizing workshop





















My Ball State visit was excellent! I had the best time and it really energized me even though we worked hard each day. First of all, Patricia Nelson is the most gracious human being I think I have ever met, and she is so laid back. You can tell that her students really respond to her style of teaching. Her studio is awesome! Everything is laid out in a logical location with the forming area being right next to the Sculpture metal working area. The art building layout for Metals and Sculpture was very wisely planned by Pat and Sculpture professor, Kenton Hall. They share certain resources like the sandblaster, etc. Pat has a specific plating and anodizing room that was to die for. She has a giant electro-forming bath and a giant rectifier for her anodizing setup that I absolutely loved. I felt right at home in her studio and immediately got to work when I arrived. Ball State's campus is charming and reminds me of a cross between EIU and U of I. The students made some great work and were polite and so appreciative. Many of them commented on my visit and thanked me over and over for coming. I owe Pat for hosting me and for being so kind. I always feel so awkward when I do these visits as I hate to impose on people, but Pat made the visit so enjoyable. Such great people!

Sungyeoul Lee, a fellow U of I grad, brought students from his school,
Earlham College, which is in Richmond, IN. I had a great time talking to him and his students. It sounds like he has landed a great job and I am so happy for him. He brought two different groups of students each day and he was able to make a piece of two on the second day since he had more time to stay. I have always been a big fan of his work since seeing it for the first time in the Cheongju International Craft Biennale. I'm so glad he was able to come to the workshop.






No comments:

Followers