Friday, January 31, 2014

formlabs form 1
























































Before I left school yesterday, Adream brought a Formlabs Form 1 3D printer into the DCRL so we could hook it up and do a test print. She received it finally and she is expecting a second one. I'm hoping one of the printers may get to live in the DCRL. If you aren't familiar with the Form 1, this is how it works:

Stereolithography (SL). In this photopolymer-based process, a high precision system directs a laser across a tray of liquid resin and causes a thin layer to solidify. The build platform then rises in preparation for the next layer. After thousands of repetitions, your part is complete with exquisite detail.

Adream got a lot of extra resin, build platforms, and resin trays, so there should be plenty of materials to experiment with. I didn't get to see the finished print as I headed off to the doctor, but I'm hoping to see the print soon. Can't wait to try this out on my own. I have some other new additions to the DCRL that I didn't get to photograph but I'll make sure to post about them a few days. New things are happening in the Digital Craft Research Lab!




No comments:

Followers