Monday, February 17, 2014

prosthetic hand: milwaukee prt.19 (new gauntlet)




  







I've been working on a new gauntlet for Shea's re-designed hand. I want to create something that is more form fitted to her arm and hand. I want to achieve the same effect as a running shoe, in terms of becoming "one" with the body (i.e. arm and hand). Something that is comfortable and sleek as well. I still have a long way to go, but these are some of my initial thoughts in plastic. This gauntlet has slots for velcro to lace through and will use two straps on the gauntlet section alone. I have been playing with how much I can cut and eliminate from the top section of the gauntlet and still have it be secure to the forearm. I have also been thinning the shell as much as possible to see what the least amount of material is, that I can get away with. I'm still using Ivan's tensioner as it seems to work well. I started mocking up the new hand as well, but still have much farther to go on it's re-design. The length of Shea's thumb as prompted this particular design, and again, I am trying to achieve something really smooth and sleek. Shea would like the hand to be as "close to hand-like" as possible, so I'm going to work on this until she's happy with this. I'm also looking at re-angling the thumb placement, but have yet to actually install printed fingers and thumb to test this. I am a long way from this, and still have a lot to do, but I thought I would share where I'm at; in case it might inspire someone else in some small way.




No comments:

Followers