Tuesday, July 15, 2014

duet


I've always been a lover of animation. Since a child, I always loved using a pencil to bring inanimate objects to life and to transpose characters from my head onto paper. My parents always encouraged my drawing as a kid and I remember dreaming of being an animator, and as a teenager a comic book artist. Comics, newspaper comic strips, and animated cartoons and films always enthralled me. I remember my Grandma Blair always keeping newspaper clippings of the latest Family Circus daily on her refrigerator. She would talk about the characters as if she knew them first hand as she related to them as people. It was this power of the drawn form that appealed to me; that it could speak to us as humans. Alas the dreams of being an animator never came true, but it hasn't squelched the appreciation I have for those who create in this medium. Glen Keane has always been one of my favorite animators due in part to his linage that can be traced back to his father Bil Keane who penned  my Grandmother's favorite strip. Glen created many of the Disney favorites that many of us grew up with. I remember having a Disney book that mentioned him, his core personal values, along with his pencil drawings. With his career at Disney being over, it seems he is now working in new territory and I have to say his work is as impressive as ever. Watch the making of the short animation entitled "duet" and keep watching for the full short animation. Simply beautiful.



No comments:

Followers