Friday, May 15, 2015

karuna on cbs 58



















CBS News 58 visited the DCRL a few weeks ago. Karuna and Teresa were visiting so we could look at the first trumpet holder that we had crudely put together for him to use this year in band and also we could test fit one of the recent prints to his trumpet. It was a good opportunity for me to be able to see Karuna use the first prototype and play for us so I could see his arm positioning. I asked Kaivahn to come in since he has been working on the trumpet adapter with me. Reporter Priscilla Luong had contacted me long ago to see if she could do a story on 3D printing as Matt Mabee had sent the station our way after they had visited his lab in Architecture. We finally secured a date and it worked out for all of us to meet.

Karuna is getting so big and I love how he is starting to become less shy. I also enjoyed seeing seeing Karuna move our models around in Rhino and it was great to see how quickly he learned the navigation system; I think we might have a future computer modeler in our midst. We had a great time talking with each other and discussing how we first connected last year. The day we filmed was actually fairly close to it being a year that Teresa and I had first connected. At the time I thought I was talking to someone halfway across the country. We didn't know it at the time, as we were speaking via a Google HangOut, but we live within a 25 mile radius of each other. Once we figured this out we decided to meet up and the rest is history. Even though this semester was filled with so many things that I had happening, it was nice to slow down that day and just spend time talking with Karuna and Teresa.

The CBS story will air tonight. 



No comments:

Followers