Friday, May 15, 2015

kse/dcrl open studios 2014
















One of my most favorite days of the year, is our Kenilworth Open Studios event that happens each Spring semester. This always brings a ton of people to our lab spaces and gives us an opportunity to share what our students are learning and creating. It also allows the students in the DCRL the opportunity to network with people and create relationships. It was good to see the older generation out in full effect and engaging in questions with us. I was on the receiving end of so many great comments and conversations about what implications our student work is having. 

I had the privilege to see many alumni this year and it was such a joy to talk to one of my former Architecture students, Caleb, who was in one of the early groups of students that worked in my studio to develop FabMeth models. Caleb was working with me when I first had the vision of creating a unique collaborative work space that fostered creativity centered around material/process and the fusion of traditional and digital craft forms. I was so glad he was able to see what his work spawned. It was very special and meaningful for him to recognize the realization of the things that we talked about so many years ago. 

I am so grateful for all of the students that paved the way for the students that I have now and the contributions that each of those early students made by creating their best work ever. They may not realize it but they started something special that continues to grow. Bryant, Matt, and Jim were three of the pioneers that started this all with me and I don't think there is a week that goes by that I don't think about them when I step into the DCRL.




No comments:

Followers