Wednesday, March 2, 2016

build moto
















On Monday I went over to the Moto Scoot Garage in Milwaukee to help the Shorewood hight school BUILD team with their BUILD racebike that they're building. I missed the first two meetings of the season, but this past week they were mocking up the fairing on a mock-up bike as they already have their frame stripped and ready for powder coating. The students were working on polishing engine case covers and cleaning parts for powder coating. I helped out a bit with polishing and we discussed anodizing some parts for their build. The bike will be raced at the Road America AHRMA race this summer as well as a few other venues. The BUILD project is a great high school program that engages high school students in building vintage race motorcycles. I have always wanted to find a way to help out and I finally connected with the Shorewood team through my involvement in consulting with the school on their Maker Space and STEAM curriculum development. Monday night was a great way to spend some time talking about motorcycles, design, materials, and process after a crazy administrative day at work. I need more "releases" like this, and I can't think of a better way to connect skills and knowledge with a younger generation. It was great seeing a bunch of students with dirty faces and hands at the end of the night. I am sure they are learning a lot of things that will stick with them as they develop more skills and abilities.








No comments:

Followers