Sunday, August 2, 2020

kenny carder visit




Glass artist Kenny Carder came over on Friday to my studio. He wanted to borrow a ring mandrel and rawhide mallet to help his daughter with some spoon rings. He also brought me a jigger tool that Lisa wants to copy and make some improvements on for her throwing wheel. It looks like an easy enough job to do. I started drawing it in Rhino so we can kick some ideas around. We both hadn't been around people for quite sometime but we wore masks and sat in my shop for a couple hours just talking about various things.

I love chatting with Kenny. He is a true "do it yourself" and a "get it done" kind of person. He built the studio that he and Lisa work out of and its a really sweet set-up. He just keeps adding on with found materials and the building has aura. Kenny has also built most all of his glass working equipment. He's also a believer in using whatever you can source and reusing materials. He has had a very interesting set of experiences working for well known glass artist/printmaker Harvey Littleton and helping to build Harvey's first printmaking studio. Kenny's work is quite accomplished and he really knows the deep scientific and physical qualities of glass and glass processes. He's a real joy to talk with because I always learn something from him through our discussions. Kenny seemed enthused about the new studio I have and the surrounding space. We talked about the possibilities for expansion, native North Carolina Brook Trout, ponds fed by streams, land cruisers, friends and health.

Kenny and I also talked about the quote above. We also talked about routine and really that's another reason I decided to come back to the blog. We talked about this in regard to teaching too and how most students never achieve their goals as artists simply because of the lack of work ethic. The idea of routine though really resonated with me. Kenny has been doing one drawing a day since the pandemic started. These drawings started as coloring book pages, but have morphed into something more. He talked about how once you're used to taking a few minutes to do something it becomes like brushing your teeth and it really doesn't take that much time. He mentioned the ideas that 10 minutes a day doing something is really a small amount of time in the grand scheme of a day... and he's right. He also talked about how 10 minutes set aside will often turn into more than 10 minutes, and before you know it you're putting an hour into something. Regardless, its setting aside the time, doing it everyday, and then watching the seed grow. My undergraduate drawing teacher Glenn Hild also talked about making sure to do at least one creative thing per day.

I've been thinking about this in regard to my students. I often have students tell me that they spend 20 hours a week on their phone. These are the same students that want to be "internet famous" and they want their artwork to be seen my millions. I'm sorry to say, but it's going to take consistent practice and work. I need to remind myself of this as well (although I'm pretty sure I don't want to be internet famous); I just want to be accomplished at something and understand what makes me tick. I'm trying to spend time right now making things for others when I feel the urge to sit around or I don't feel like making my own work. Tool making and studio/shop set-up has always provided that necessary practice and at the same time fulfillment, and feeling of worthwhile activity for me over the years. I'm grateful that my Dad demonstrated that there was always something that could be built or restored to further the goal of being self sufficient or learning a new skill. 

Ian and I used to talk about a book called 5 Acres and Independence. I keep thinking that I have no excuse now with my six acres of land, a studio/shop building, and my house. Kenny mentioned that there's something about having your own studio space that frees you up to explore and get things accomplished or at least discover something new. He mentioned that everyday, he steps into his studio and immediately is faced with hundreds of potential things that he could accomplish that day. He also looked around my studio and said he can see that I have the same situation. Admittedly, it's often embarrassing how many "possibilities" are cluttering the surfaces of my studio along with the many tools that need maintenance or large building improvement projects that could be tackled each day. I usually see that as a negative, but it was interesting to hear Kenny describe it as a positive. 

Again, I just need to separate from the world a bit more and retreat back into my studio/shop. I have a lot of things happening that are new, that I haven't been sharing online. I realize that I often don't share my in progress artwork as I am just always so uncertain about it. It's easier to show tools, car, motorcycles, or projects for other people because I don't have to put myself out there as much. I wait to share until the pieces are complete and I've had a chance to evaluate them myself. I think I'll now share the in progress things on the blog more...yet another reason to be back here. 

I was so good to spend some time with Kenny. I don't know if we see eye to eye on everything, but that's o.k. as we have a lot of things we do see eye to eye on. That's part of being friends with someone; learning to understand others and be accepting is an essential part of friendship and part of what is lacking in our superficial world. Note to self: spend more time having meaningful one on one conversations and keep setting aside time here writing as well as working on the endless "possibilities: in my studio/shop.





No comments:

Followers