Tuesday, August 11, 2020

larry haun skills

 


 

 

 Eric shared this with me a couple days ago after we talked on the phone. Man, this is SO good! There is something about the efficiency and seeing someone who is good at their trade. It's also good to see two people working together to accomplish something big. Apparently Larry Haun was at the forefront of production framing in the 60's/70's. Regardless, I need some of these skills in my life. Maybe a shop expansion should happen in the future. I'd like to add a large scale foundry to the existing shop or it might be nice to have a blacksmithing area, or a dedicated motorcycle resto/car shop... You have to dream a little, right?

Anyway, I really learned a lot from these videos. I know this is all stuff that my Dad knows. He took classes in high school that taught him most of this I'm certain. I think I've mentioned it here before, but the school owned property that they built houses on and the students built a house each year and then would start another the following year. My Dad knew foundations, framing, roofing, electrical, and plumbing and as a result he never called anyone for help unless it was something major that required heavy equipment. He built several additions to our house and a few shops spaces when I was a kid. I wished I would have watched more or asked more questions, as I feel really lacking in these areas of basic construction. It's strange as I feel really comfortable with metal fab and all things associated but stick and mortar stuff feels really foreign to me. I think I would tackle bigger building projects if I knew more about it. 

I really appreciate Eric sharing these, as it's just good practical knowledge. 


3 comments:

Shop Teacher Bob said...

We used to show the Larry Haun videos to the construction class at the high school when I was there. No wasted energy with that guy.

Glad to see you're blogging again but more importantly, glad you've found the "middle path" in your life. Since we have many of the same interests, I always enjoyed seeing what you were up to - especially since you are able to blend old and new technologies effortlessly, always turning out work of the highest degree.

Looking forward to enjoying more of your posts in the future - Shop Teacher Bob

Frankie Flood said...

I should have figured you were aware of Larry Haun.

The middle path has taken a while to find. I haven't stopped reading your blog regardless of dropping off blogging when we made the move South. I have ALWAYS enjoyed your projects/interests but your grounded perspective has been the true guiding light. Thank you for that.

Wishing you and your wife a healthy and productive year regardless of the CRAZY that is currently engulfing our world.

TheSniper said...

Awesome vids. Watched em all. Thanks for posting them

Followers