Tuesday, August 11, 2020

sunday trials












The last couple Sunday afternoons, Jacob Hardin has been coming over to ride motorcycles. Jacob was one of my Intro Metals students and graduated from the Industrial Design program at AppState. This past Sunday he brought Paul Fueling with him. Paul is a craftsperson/woodworker that lives in the area and he makes high end doors and tables. He is also a trials enthusiast. I think he convinced Jacob to sell his dirtbike and get a trials bike recently. We've been having a good time riding around my property and I've been cutting back brush on the hillsides and around the creek to make riding a bit more fun and challenging. 

This past week Jacob made up some yard obstacles from scrap wood that he and Paul brought with them. This past week, my Montesa had some clutch issues so I took a few pics and videos of them riding and then went into work on my bike. I got it going again, but then rode through the creek and somehow got my points wet and couldn't get things dried out enough to get spark. Oh well, part of owning an old bike I guess. It has me on the lookout for a newer trials bike though. The girls came down and rode their bikes while we were riding and wrenching. They were really into it. I think both Liv and Maya are interested in learning how to ride a motorcycle from the looks on their faces and from talking to them.

It's been fun to have some people in the area that are interested in riding trials bikes. Usually people don't have a clue what they are or what trials is about. Having a property where we can ride has been a great thrill. It's something I've wanted since we moved from the city. I didn't realize how lucky I was as a kid to have space to ride bicycles, fish, and eventually ride motorcycles. Ian and I used to talk about how we didn't believe that we were the kid of people to live right against another person in a confined space. I realize now that going out to Eric's farm was an attempt at a biweekly escape to a more spacious environment.  Jill and I have been talking about how blessed we are during this time to have a space where the kids can escape into the yard or woods and do whatever they want without worry. I've recently had numerous colleagues asking each other what they can do about balancing teaching and schooling their kids and how to provide an outlet and socialization for them. I know we're in a slightly different spot with the ages of our kids, but I think Jill and I spending time with them outside on walks, fishing with them, playing with them just on our property will provide a lot for them during this next year. It won't be easy, but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this time with them.


 

No comments:

Followers