Tuesday, July 21, 2026

gratitude: bronze wheel casting


























The theme for the week is gratitude. Last week I made a resin bonded sand mold from the pattern I made earlier in the week. I was thinking about how fortunate I was to spend time with Chuck Kraus while I was in Milwaukee. He was so generous with his time and knowledge at a time when I was just trying to figure out how to teach. He welcomed me into the Sculpture community and made certain that I had exposure to all sorts of things that he had been doing for years in his personal work. He was exceptional at sharing everything he knew. 

As I look back on the time I spent with him, it's like I had an entire second graduate school experience while I was working at UWM with Chuck. It's interesting to look back through life and realize that there are hundreds of people that move in and out of one's life, but there are other people that come into your life and make such a strong and indelible mark that it seems like a supernatural experience. As I've grown older I realize that God seems to orchestrate these encounters, events and especially relationships. 

I am deeply grateful for the time I spent with Chuck when I lived in Milwaukee. He most likely doesn't know the impact that he has made on me and on my teaching and the extent to which a value him and the things he taught me. But it's moments like this, when I am ramming a mold, or pouring metal that he comes to mind and I think of how I wouldn't know ANY of this if it weren't for him. Thank you, Chuck.

No comments:

Followers