Tuesday, July 21, 2026

land rover tub





On Saturday I worked on cleaning up the tub on the Land Rover. The underside was caked with diesel so I power-washed it and then worked on getting the oxidation that was also caked on the aluminum panels. The steel supports looked pretty good. They were galvanized so they have survived the years well and the diesel helped with that as well. There were a few spots that had surface rust on the supports though so I wire-brushed those and then sealed them with some paint. Eric and I used to talk about the main issue with working on cars was that you had to know when to stop. You can go down a rabbit hole as you start to clean something up. I think sometimes something starts up in my brain when I start "cleaning" and pretty soon I've got it stripped to bare metal and I'm starting to polish the thing. That said, I kept thinking that a bare aluminum car would be pretty cool to drive. BUT alas I stopped what I was doing and the Sunday worked on just cleaning the painted sections without stripping paint. I didn't get any shots of the rest of the tub but I got it placed on the painted chassis and have started work on the seatbox. I'll try to grab some pics of that soon.





 

No comments:

Followers